"It is not an incompetent way of imitating the truth..."
"...but a rational and consistant way of analyzing the truth, even of making up the truth." So says my Archaic Greek Archaeology text book. The book spends the whole first chapter trying to convince the reader that the earlier forms of art were no less good than those from the Classical period. It's hard to take something seriously which is about something which first must be defended as great! I'm just let down because I wanted to study the Classical period, when the statues looked realistic and the buildings like the Parthenon where built! Sigh.
Otherwise things are good. I can't take Chorus as one of my 4 credits because Smith won't give me credit for a class not offered at Smith. So I'm now enrolled in that Archaeology class and what amounts to three English classes, though I'm taking one cross listed under the Classics Department: Reading Theories. We start with Marx! Then there's Medieval Works in Performance, with my favorite professor. We'll read these plays which pre-date Shakespeare and get to read them aloud in class! AND: today he emailed me to say I'd gotten in off the waitlist for my top choice class: History of the English Language!!! So now I'm in two English classes with the same professor, which happen on the same days in the same room 10 minutes apart!!! Oh dear! I'm so excited! The book for my second English class was really expensive for how small it is, but it's soooo pretty!!!! I was signed up for War in Greco-Roman Society as a safety class (it has about 40-50 students in it, only about 5 of those are girls!!! I went to the first class and felt like I was at a reverse Smith! It was a great experience! I suppose only guys are interested in war?) but now have dropped it since it meets at the same time as History of the English Language.
Laurel is home, which is a happy, happy thing!!!! She's coming to visit me this weekend on the way to pick up Abby from the airport!!!!
I'm currently really hungry, but Ann-Marie had to go to Choir practice (she's the organist at a local church and runs the choir) and so I'm waiting for Michelle to get out of Swim practice and I'll go with her and Sam. At lunch today it was crazy, Michelle and I grabbed sandwiches at the Cafe on the first floor of the campus center, we didn't bother going to the dinning hall on the second floor, but then the place was packed and it was hard to find a table. Oh I'm so hungry. Only had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch and apple juice. I felt like a 5 year old! I think I only write in my blog when I'm hungry, I suppose that's when I'm waiting around for others to go to dinner. And I do not have any homework due tomorrow as I have not had my English classes yet!
YAY!!!
Otherwise things are good. I can't take Chorus as one of my 4 credits because Smith won't give me credit for a class not offered at Smith. So I'm now enrolled in that Archaeology class and what amounts to three English classes, though I'm taking one cross listed under the Classics Department: Reading Theories. We start with Marx! Then there's Medieval Works in Performance, with my favorite professor. We'll read these plays which pre-date Shakespeare and get to read them aloud in class! AND: today he emailed me to say I'd gotten in off the waitlist for my top choice class: History of the English Language!!! So now I'm in two English classes with the same professor, which happen on the same days in the same room 10 minutes apart!!! Oh dear! I'm so excited! The book for my second English class was really expensive for how small it is, but it's soooo pretty!!!! I was signed up for War in Greco-Roman Society as a safety class (it has about 40-50 students in it, only about 5 of those are girls!!! I went to the first class and felt like I was at a reverse Smith! It was a great experience! I suppose only guys are interested in war?) but now have dropped it since it meets at the same time as History of the English Language.
Laurel is home, which is a happy, happy thing!!!! She's coming to visit me this weekend on the way to pick up Abby from the airport!!!!
I'm currently really hungry, but Ann-Marie had to go to Choir practice (she's the organist at a local church and runs the choir) and so I'm waiting for Michelle to get out of Swim practice and I'll go with her and Sam. At lunch today it was crazy, Michelle and I grabbed sandwiches at the Cafe on the first floor of the campus center, we didn't bother going to the dinning hall on the second floor, but then the place was packed and it was hard to find a table. Oh I'm so hungry. Only had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch and apple juice. I felt like a 5 year old! I think I only write in my blog when I'm hungry, I suppose that's when I'm waiting around for others to go to dinner. And I do not have any homework due tomorrow as I have not had my English classes yet!
YAY!!!

2 Comments:
At 8:22 PM,
Ashley said…
last semester i took an ancient art history class and i got marked down alot on a test because i implied that classical greek sculpture was better than archaic :S
At 4:34 PM,
Myles said…
History of the English Language sounds like a lot of fun, you hit the jackpot this semester, Archeology and neat English courses.
Post a Comment
<< Home